Andyblg's Blog

July 22, 2009

Examples of non-additive and semi-additive facts

Filed under: DW — andyblg @ 21:32
Tags: ,

In previouse post “Some words about measures and hierarchies” we talked about types of measures and hierarchies. Now I want demonstrate examples of non-additive and semi-additive facts. If you have any examples I will be glad to see theirs (e-mail, comment, may be your post :-))

Non-additive facts

Profit margins are non-additive. If a department has two employees, and one employee has sold an item with a 55% profit margin and the other has sold an item with a 45% profit margin, the profit margin for the department is not 100%.

Semi-additive facts

You can aggregate semi-additive facts for some, but not all, dimensions.

You can aggregate department headcounts to give an organization total, but you cannot aggregate them over time, so the Sales department headcount for March 31 may be 20 employees, and for April 30 the headcount may be 23, but that does not mean that the total headcount at the end of April is 43.

Advertisements

7 Comments »

  1. It’s perfect time to make soime plans for the long run and it’s time tto be happy.
    I have read this post and if I may I desire to counsel you sime
    interesting things or tips. Perhaps you caan write subsequent articles regarding this article.
    I wamt to read even more things appoximately it!

    Comment by http://Www.youtube.Com/ — August 16, 2014 @ 23:10 | Reply

  2. I all the time emailed this weblog post page to all my contacts, for the reason that
    if like to read it after that my contacts will too.

    Comment by expert advise — March 8, 2014 @ 02:34 | Reply

  3. Hi every one, here every one is sharing these knowledge, so it’s pleasant to read this web site, and I used to visit this website daily.

    Comment by zampouris.gr — March 7, 2014 @ 03:59 | Reply

  4. Hello Тhere. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written aгticle.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and come baϲdk to read more of
    youг useful info. Thanks foг the post. I will certainly return.

    Comment by peter popoff ministries mailing address — March 6, 2014 @ 17:20 | Reply

  5. where are u andy want to ask u about new data ware house concepts

    Comment by Anonymous — September 6, 2013 @ 15:00 | Reply

    • there
      what’s up ?

      Comment by andyblg — September 6, 2013 @ 17:55 | Reply

  6. Howdy! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial
    information to work on. You have done a wonderful
    job!

    Comment by الشيخة المغربية السوسية — August 7, 2013 @ 17:30 | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: